Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Surgery Update

Got good news today following surgery. Dr. S found one band that *may* be scarring – he sent it to pathology for testing as he wasn't totally sure. He also found another area of possible retained "products of conception" and cleared that. My tubes are open. Hopefully I will get a decent period in a couple weeks. Then next month we will do an ultrasound series to make sure I am ovulating and to check the growth of my endometrial lining. If everything looks good, hopefully we will be cleared to TTC again sometime in November. Thank you ladies so much for your thoughts and prayers. I am humbled to have so many amazing women praying specifically for me – especially since I don't even know most of you in person!

I am feeling good now, just very tired. Not much pain at all. When I got transferred back to outpatient, I found out that they gave me Tramadol in the recovery room – the same pain killer they gave my cat following his surgery this summer! I told my husband that if the pain got too bad, maybe I could dig into the cat's left over stash. Ha ha!

Isn't it crazy to look at surgery pictures? In my untrained eye, looking at my pictures, I would say there was only one where everything looked good and smooth. In all the other pictures it looks like there is all sorts of tissue out of place! Of course Dr. S explained all the pictures to my husband but he can't remember what anything was, except for the one that shows the suspicious band of tissue. Guess I'll have to wait for my post-op.

Also, I have a good Catholic story for you ladies. We were down in GA this weekend and our priest friend wasn't able to come over to give me anointing. So on Sunday my husband was insisting that we ask the local priest to anoint me after mass. I was chickening out since it wasn't my priest and my parents and in-laws were at mass with us and would have to wait through it. But he and my mother-in-law insisted. They got to work before mass tracking down someone to ask for the anointing. When they got back to the pew, my mil told me that she added my name to the prayers for the sick to be announced during the Prayers of the Faithful. I was a bit embarrassed, especially having my parents there and also knowing that we probably knew some people outside of my family that would be at mass. By the time the petition came around, I had forgotten about it and my mind was wandering. Then I heard my name and looked over to see my husband and mil snickering. I thought they were laughing because the lector had butchered both my first and last name. But once the prayers were over and before the music started, the music minister (who put my name on the list) got on the mic and said, "There was one mistake in the Prayers of the Faithful. (Insert my name) should have been listed under prayers for the sick." I looked over at my husband and asked, "Did they say my name under prayers for those who have died?" Sure enough they did! I was hoping that wasn't a foreshadowing, but here I am alive and well! And we did end up knowing some people who were at mass – hopefully they didn't freak out thinking I had died!

So things are looking up and hopefully my cycles will get back to normal soon. I have learned so much over the past two weeks and have decided that I will never again have a D&C unless it is medically necessary. It really is crazy how that one procedure can ruin a woman's fertility. It is really not worth the risk. If you are interested in learning more about Asherman's Syndrome, click here.

5 comments:

  1. I SO glad that everything went well. The story about mass made me LOL. :) Praise God everything is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad everything went well. The prayer of the faithful story is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are fine! Your mass story is hilarious!!!! Haha! I'll be praying for a quick recovery for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Mass story was hilarious!

    I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience. I would think it would be a pretty mundane procedure since I would think it is pretty common. I doubt if I ever needed I wouldn't do a DNC again either....

    I am so sorry you had to deal with that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. During my last surg...the dr found a lot of scar tissue...I wondered if that was from the DNC that I had four years ago...UGH! There was a spot of scar tissue that was so "bad" that they couldn't get their instruments through it...they asked if I had some kind of injury or I had some kind of pelvic infection and didn't know it? No clue but they took care of it. That is such good news that your surg went well...praise our Dear Lord!!! Glad that "mistake" during the petitions was just a human error and not a forshadowing! That was a funny story. Thanks for sharing. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete