Sunday, January 3, 2010

A New Year's Reflection

Happy New Year! The new year has always been a time of excitement for me. It helps to have a set time where I can think about what I want to accomplish in the year ahead, instead of letting life flash before my eyes. For me, last New Year’s was different. Instead of excitement about the year ahead, I felt…nervous. I had never sat up on New Year’s Eve feeling nervous about what may be in store in the year to come. It perturbed me because I knew that the nervousness was related to my infertility and miscarriages. Infertility had taken over so much of my life that instead of feeling hopeful anticipation about the year ahead, I was worried about what may be in store. I feared another pregnancy loss and how I would cope. I’m sure my laparoscopy that was scheduled for the end of January contributed to the nervousness as well.

But I made it through 2009. It was filled with lots of doctor’s appointments, three surgeries, one pregnancy loss, my sister’s loss of her second baby, a short-lived case of Asherman’s Syndrome, and diagnosis of endometriosis, two blood-clotting disorders, and hormonal issues. I also made it to the magic number of three miscarriages when doctor’s agree extensive testing must be done and they classify you as a recurrent miscarrier. But I found that even with three miscarriages, most doctors still blow off the issue unless they can find something significant in their testing.

When I went to write our Christmas letter this year, I gave up and decided to just write a short, hand-written note in each card. This isn’t exactly the type of news that Christmas letters are made of, and we didn’t do anything too exciting during the year other than some visits with family. Still, 2009 didn’t conquer me and I ended feeling thankful for the gifts that I do have. Some of our friends faced so many challenges this year, and even though last year wasn’t great, I am definitely thankful that I don’t have to bear the crosses that some of our friends have been asked to carry.

Looking into 2010, I am not nervous. I found that even though difficult things happened in 2009, there was still a lot of joy and happiness in our lives. I am blessed with an amazing husband who is perfect for me. We live comfortably, have secure jobs, enjoy close relationships with our families, and have developed some wonderful friendships. Most of all, I know that God is always with me, even when I don’t understand what He is doing with my life or why He is taking so long in answering my prayers. He is generous in the grace that He shares. His love is ever faithful, even when I am not. It is so easy to focus on this life, to think about what I do or do not have, the dreams that were not realized this past year. It is so easy to forget that I am living for the life to come. I will only find true contentment in heaven. I have cause for joy and hope in my Savior. May this year bring all of us closer to the joys of heaven!

“Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.” Matthew 6:34a

“I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us.” Romans 8:18

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:18

Reflection Questions
1. How has the Lord worked in my life over the past year?
2. What non-fertility related goals can I set for myself in 2010?
3. What can I do this year to bring me closer to the goal of reaching heaven?

Opening Prayer from Mass
Father of light, unchanging God, today you reveal to men of faith the resplendent fact of the Word made flesh. Your light is strong, your love is near; draw us beyond the limits which this world imposes, to the life where your Spirit makes all life complete. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Such a great post. You are such a talented writer and have a wonderful spirit. I always look forward to your posts! Thank you for your gift of encouragement.

    I can really identify with so much of what you wrote. I almost didn't write a Christmas letter either. It was really difficult to find the right words. And at first glance, I was "not happy" with 2009. But I too am grateful for the blessings that are in my life, despite the challenges of infertility.

    I really needed to be reminded of this:
    “I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us.” Romans 8:18

    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2009 did a number on quite a few of us. I was wondering the same thing this year about writing a Christmas letter - what else would we put in it if we didn't talk about my 3rd surgery, or our continued infertility, or our struggles with our job, or my husband's mom's death.
    Who knows, maybe we'll have something to write in a mid-year letter instead :).

    Happy New Year! I hope 2010 brings you many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine how hard it is for you this holiday season. I too had a miscarriage this November. But I did not let that bring me into depression. God knows why we have problems, there might be a reason or not. But I keep trusting in him in good times and bad times. Will be praying that this New year will be a better year for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your reflections. I'm sorry that 2009 was such a rough year; I hope 2010 brings blessings.

    ReplyDelete